What is Personal Information
Personal information is information that identifies you as an individual. It includes information such as your name, address, telephone number, birth date, social insurance number, e-mail address and financial information.
The information FirstOnSite may collect or obtain includes but may not be limited to: name, address, telephone number, birth date, social insurance number, e-mail address, financial information, insurance Information and credit card information.
Our Privacy Principles:
As required by applicable Privacy Legislation, FirstOnSite conducts its business in accordance with the following 10 privacy principles:
- Identifying Purposes — FirstOnSite will identify the purpose(s) for collecting personal information at or before the time the information is collected, used or disclosed.
- Consent — FirstOnSite understands that the knowledge and consent of the customer is required for the insurer to collect, use or disclose personal information, and will take reasonable steps to protect any information that an insurer passes to FirstOnSite and to ensure that such information is handled in accordance with applicable Privacy Legislation.
- Limiting Collection — FirstOnSite will limit the collection of personal information to that which is necessary in order for it to complete a work assignment. In cases where the information collected is supplemental to information provided by an insurer, FirstOnSite will communicate this information back to the insurer only so far as to provide an explanation as to the work necessary to successfully remediate a claim.
- Limiting Use, Disclosure & Retention — Personal information collected by FirstOnSite shall not be used or disclosed for purposes other than for which it was collected, except with the consent of the insured or as required or permitted by law. Personal information shall be retained only for as long as necessary for the fulfillment of such purposes.
- Accuracy — Personal information shall be as accurate, complete and up-to-date as is necessary for the purposes for which it is to be used.
- Safeguards — Personal information shall be protected by security safeguards appropriate to the sensitivity of the information.
- Customer Access — Upon request, a customer shall be informed of the existence, use and disclosure, if any, of his or her personal information and shall be given access to that information, subject to providing proper identification. A customer shall be able to verify the accuracy and completeness of their information and have it amended as appropriate should any inaccuracies be found.
- Challenging Compliance — Should a customer have any questions or concerns regarding FirstOnSite’s handling of their personal information, they shall be entitled to raise such concerns with FirstOnSite’s privacy officer, who shall address such questions or concerns in a timely and respectful manner.
Collecting, Using and Disclosing Your Personal Information
FirstOnSite collects, uses and discloses your personal information in order to provide you with the claims remediation services that you have requested, have enquired about or to which you are contractually entitled. In most cases, this information is provided to FirstOnSite through a third party, usually an insurance carrier. At other times, it is collected directly by FirstOnSite. In order to provide you with claims remediation services, FirstOnSite collects, uses (and in limited circumstances, discloses) your personal information for the purposes of contacting you, communicating with you while the remediation is in process, communicating with the insurance carrier, providing details of the remediation to third party contractors, collecting any fees that may be payable by you or the insurance carrier and providing you with the appropriate warranty, should a warranty be applicable (the “Identified Purposes”).
As noted above, there are circumstances specific to the restoration contracting industry which require FirstOnSite to disclose personal information in order to provide the services that you have requested and fulfill the Identified Purposes. For example, information may be disclosed to a sub-contractor whom FirstOnSite has contracted to provide you with some or all of the services to be provided to you. Additionally, FirstOnSite may disclose some or all of your information to a third party who has undertaken to audit the services that FirstOnSite provides or to audit its general business practices. Only the information that is necessary to complete such work will be disclosed.
By providing information to, or accepting services from, FirstOnSite, you hereby consent to FirstOnSite’s collection (whether direct or from your insurer), use and disclosure of your personal information in order to fulfill the Identified Purposes. You may withdraw your consent at any time, but in doing so, you understand that this may inhibit FirstOnSite’s ability to continue or complete any services that it has undertaken to provide to you. In such cases, the withdrawal of consent shall in no way limit FirstOnSite’s ability to be paid not only for services provided to date, but for any other reasonable service that it has in turn committed to on your behalf.
Protecting Your Privacy
FirstOnSite undertakes to keep your personal information in strict confidence and had taken reasonable measures to do so, such as maintaining physical, electronic and procedural safeguards to protect your personal information from unauthorized access and distribution. These measures are reviewed from time to time and may be modified at FirstOnSite’s discretion in order to maintain this undertaking. Access to your personal information is restricted to those employees that are required to know the information in order to fulfill the Identified Purposes. Information is retained only as long as is necessary, or to meet any legal, regulatory or tax requirements.
It is FirstOnSite’s policy NOT to sell its customer database to any third party.
Accessing Your Personal Information
FirstOnSite will endeavour to respond to your request within 10 working days of receipt of such request, or will advise you if additional time is necessary in order to respond to your request. There may be situations where FirstOnSite is legally prohibited from allowing you access to your personal information. For example, FirstOnSite would be so prohibited should the sharing of your personal information provide you with access to the personal information of another person or persons. Should this be the case, FirstOnSite will provide you with a written explanation of the reasons such information cannot be produced. In some cases, it may be necessary to charge you a fee for providing you access to your personal information. In such case, FirstOnSite will limit any charge to only what is reasonable. Such fee shall only be charged upon advance notification. Should you choose not to pay such a charge, it will be deemed that you have withdrawn your request for access to your personal information.
FirstOnSite will amend personal information that is demonstrated to be inaccurate or incomplete. In any case where information is found to be inaccurate or incomplete through no fault of FirstOnSite, FirstOnSite reserves the right to charge you a reasonable fee to make any necessary amendment or correction. Such fee shall only be charged upon advance notification. Should you choose not to pay such a charge, it will be deemed that you have withdrawn your request to amend or correct your personal information.
FirstOnSite Restoration L.P.
170 University Avenue
PO Box 14